When operating, each ship is fitted with a weather station by Météo France, the French national weather service. This autonomous system sends meteorological data several times a day by satellite link (Inmarsat or Mini-M) to Météo France. The data is also saved for use by the ship’s complement.
The weather station comprises the following sensors:
- Vaisala HMP35DE thermometer/hygrometer
- Vaisala PTB220 pressure sensor (barometer)
- Seawater temperature sensor (PT100 mounted on the hull or data from a temperature sensor on the ship’s seawater system)
- Young 70721 pyranometer (sunshine sensor)
- Gill Windsonic ultrasonic anemometer (wind speed/direction)