Mission and Functioning
Access to marine station vessels is provided by means of a half-yearly national call for tenders initiated by individual scientific observatories (USO) or marine stations managing marine station vessels.
The applications are evaluated by the Local Assessment Committees (LACs) set up by each Universe Science Observatory (USO) and marine stations managing marine station vessels.
The Local Assessment Committees meet in plenary session twice a year: in the spring and in the fall to evaluate marine campaign proposal files for the following half-year periods.
The LACs are also in charge of evaluating the results of the French oceanographic campaigns scheduled on marine station vessels. They assess the scientific value-added of campaigns, both in terms of achievement of the campaign goals themselves (in the short term, on return from the campaign), as well as in terms of the medium-term goals (the scientific value-added for subsequent laboratory work, evaluated retroactively, four or five years after the campaign). The LACs also assess the value-added of the teaching campaigns in terms of the number of involved students and teaching staff, educational outputs, generated work, and value produced by of the work generated at sea. They forward these results to the Fleet Assistant Director and to the CNFC Board.
To ensure ongoing activity outside the plenary sessions, the Local Assessment Committees set up a Board consisting of a chairman and a representative of the National Coastal Fleet Commission (CNFC) within the LAC.
This Board maintains ongoing relations with the Fleet Management and the CNFC. It appoints the experts who will assess the campaign files as well as the rapporteurs who will present the files in plenary meetings.
The Fleet Assistant Director verifies that the assessments of the LACs and the local scheduling carried out by the marine stations under the coordination of a manager of the USO/UMS, UMR, or FR provide fair treatment to all the projects.
Once per year, each LAC provides the DFO with a summary memorandum (summary of completed cruise days, ranking of projects, etc.), while a consolidated analysis is submitted to the fleet Steering Committee.
The Local Assessment Committees consist of the following:
Six deliberative members:
- CNFC representative
- Four full members (including 1 member representing an USO or nearby marine station)
One or more technical observers on behalf of the Fleet Management or INSU Technical Division may serve as advisory members. The CNFC chairperson is a permanent guest of the Local Assessment Committees.
Members of LAC
- Jörg Schäfer, Président, Université de Bordeaux
- Xavier de Montaudouin, Université de Bordeaux
- Bruno Deflandre, Université de Bordeaux
- Yolanda Del Amo, Université de Bordeaux
- Hervé Gillet, Université de Bordeaux
- Valérie Chavagnac, CNRS/INSU Toulouse
- François Schmitt, Président, ULCO Wimereux
- Urania Christaki, ULCO Wimereux
- Felipe Artigas, ULCO Wimereux
- Alain Lefebvre, Ifremer Boulogne
- Hubert Loisel, ULCO Wimereux
- Alain Trentesaux, Université Lille
- Vincent Bouchet, Université Lille
- Eric Thiébaut, Président, UPMC Roscoff
- Anne-Claire Baudoux, CNRS Roscoff
- Dominique Davoult, Sorbonne Université Roscoff
- Cédric Boulard, CNRS Roscoff
- Cécile Cabresin, Sorbonne Université Roscoff
- Jacques Grall, UBO Brest
- Laurent Lévèque, CRNS/INEE Roscoff
- Frédéric Jean, UBO Brest
- Anne Lebourges-Dhaussy IRD Brest
- Gérard Thouzeau, CNRS/INSU Brest
- Erwan Amice, CNRS/INSU Brest
- Véronique Cuq, CNRS/INEE Brest
- Philippe Le Nilliot, AAMP Brest
- Eric Thiébaut, UPMC Roscoff
- Mireille Pujo-Pay, Présidente, CNRS/INSU
- François Le Loch, IRD Brest
- Michaël Fuentes, CNRS Banyuls
- Pascal Romans, Sorbonne Université Banyuls
- Céline Labrune, CNRS Banyuls
- Eric Martinez, CNRS Banyuls
- François Charles, CNRS Banyuls
- Christian Grenz, Président, CNRS/INSU Marseille
- Laetitia Licari, Université Marseille
- Pierre Chevaldonne, CNRS Marseille
- Nagib Bhairy, CNRS Marseille
- Jean-Luc Fuda, CNRS Marseille
- Sabine Charmasson, IRSN Cadarache
- Jean-Olivier Irisson, Président, SU Villefranche-sur-Mer
- Emilie Diamond Riquier, CNRS/INSU Villefranche-sur-Mer
- Stéphane Gasparini, SU Villefranche-sur-Mer
- Frédéric Gazeau, CNRS/INSU Villefranche-sur-Mer
- March Picheral, CNRS/INSU Villefranche-sur-Mer
- Delphine Thibault Botha, MOI Marseille